The BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global is the crown jewel of the WTA (Women's Tennis Association) season. Singapore has been given the baton to host the event for five years, and 2018 will be the fifth year the WTA Finals is held in this city-state. It will be held at the state-of-the-art SG$1.3 billion Singapore Sports Hub.
The Top 8 Singles players and Top 8 Doubles teams of 2018 on the Porsche Race to Singapore leaderboard will qualify for the WTA Finals.
WTA Finals Alternates
Once the Singles field has been set, the next two highest-ranked Singles players on the Porsche Race to Singapore qualify as alternatives for the WTA Finals. If any Singles player is unable to compete, an alternate will move into the competition as a replacement.
Billie Jean King Trophy
Martina Navratilova Trophy
TYPE OF COURT
The tournament is played on an indoor hard court. Held at the Centre Court of the Singapore Indoor Stadium, fans will see world class tennis at this electrifying event. If suspense from the game isn't enough, the matches promise a dazzling experience with an array of LED lights that surround the court.
SINGLES - Round Robin
The final standings of each group in the round-robin competition are applied in order of:
- Greatest number of wins
- Greatest number of matches played
- Head-to-head results if only two playes are tied, or
- If three players are tied, the tie-breaker is a percentage of sets, or percentage of games won.
The winner and runner-up from each group will then qualify for a single elimination format in the semifinals and final.
DOUBLES - Single Elimination
Close line calls may be challenged by players through the Electronic Review System.
The challenge is allowed when:
- There is a point-ending shot
- When a player or team stops playing the point during a rally
During a match, a player may consult her coach to come on court:
- Once per set, or at the conclusion of the set
- When her opponent takes a change of attire/toilet break
- When her opponent receives attention from a Primary Health Care Provider
- Coaches may bring authorised SAP tablets on court during their visits to share information with their players on their performance, and to optimise strategy
While the actual tournament runs for 8 days, the fun really begins two days prior to the first match.